Followers

Friday, February 10, 2012

Hair Growth

Let's talk a little bit about hair.

In case you couldn't tell by the name of my blog, I am a stylist. Hair is my passion, before anything else in the world (other than my amazing SO!).

I'm still new to the industry, but not to hair itself. Ever since I was a little girl, I would always answer "hairstylist!" whenever I was asked what I wanted to be when I grew up. I was never the kid who cut her own hair, because I knew that's what we went to the beauty parlor for. Yes, I still call it a beauty parlor. It's very romantic and old-worldly...

Something I'm often asked is "how do I get my hair to grow?"

Now... I know my answer will probably make a LOT of you mad. I'm going to break it down for you simply and easily, and probably blow a lot of your minds.

There is NOTHING you can do to make your hair grow faster. Nothing.

Zip. Zilch. NADA.

I don't care what Suzie Q said on XYZ board about hair. NOTHING makes it grow. Except Latisse, but that's for lashes.

If you want to have long, luxurious, Rapunzel-type hair, you just need to follow a few simple rules. I'll give you a moment to grab a pen and paper to write these very simple tips down.

Joanna's Rules to Long Luxurious Rapunzel-type Hair:

Rule No. 1: Regular trims. This doesn't mean once a year, or when you can't get the brush through the ends, or when the ends start to look scraggly. This means get a TINY bit taken off every 8-12 weeks. 12 at the most! Trust me when I say I'd rather take off the very ends every 12 weeks than see you in once a year to chop off six inches and then console you while you cry over your lost locks. I've been the one crying in the chair. It's not pretty.

Rule No. 2: Take your vitamins! I can't stress this enough. If you eat right and take at least a multivitamin, your hair will show it. Everything we put into our bodies comes out through our hair, skin, and nails, so make sure you're feeding yourself right! This will help strengthen the hair against future damage.

Rule No. 3: Step away from the cheap products. Of course I'm going to try to sell retail in the salon to my heart's content, but it's NOT for the (very low) bonus I receive. (Seriously, it's only 10% of my TOTAL sales - that's not much.) I won't sell you something unless I fully stand behind it. Trust me when I say I can tell a difference from when I was using White Rain to now when I vary things up between Paul Mitchell, Joico, and Redken. If your stylist is recommending a hydrating shampoo because your hair is thirsty, trust them. They're the hair expert and if they're anything like me, they wouldn't be trying to sell you something unless it WORKS. Also, salon products are highly concentrated, so that $15.00 bottle of shampoo WILL last you far longer than the dollar store crap.

Rule No. 4: On the topic of salon products... DON'T BUY SALON PRODUCTS AT THE SUPERMARKET!! Or the drug store. Or Wal*Mart. Or the flea market. Or anywhere that is NOT a salon! This is called diversion. Basically, what happens is this... salons go out of business. Buyers swoop in and buy their retail for a low price. It goes to a warehouse where the proper storage conditions are most likely not being met. They then mark up the price to HIGHER than at a salon. ALL hair products have a shelf life, and if it's been sitting in a warehouse (with less than ideal conditions), it's most likely expired. Don't even get me started on the stuff you find at flea markets. 99.9% of the time it's not even the real deal. If you have more questions about this rule, feel free to Google "salon product diversion".

Rule No. 5: Shampoo from the roots to the ends, condition from the ends to the roots. It's really that simple, but you'd be amazed at how many people slap conditioner on their roots. Your roots get natural oils from your scalp - you don't need to condition this! Your ends are thirsty - let them drink!

Rule No. 6: If you're going to flat iron, pick up a good thermal protectant spray. I highly recommend Paul Mitchell's Hot Off the Press, or you can use a leave-in treatment like It's a 10 Miracle Styling Serum.

Rule No. 7: Treat yourself to a deep conditioning treatment. In our salon, it's an extra $11.00. It takes five minutes, and lasts for 30 days or 30 shampoos. I do this on a regular basis and my hair has never been better! Ask your stylist for a deep conditioning treatment that is best tailored for YOUR specific hair type. If they can't come up with one, it's time to find a more knowledgeable stylist!

That's pretty much it... for now. These are things that I talk about day in and day out with all of my clients. The few who actually bite the bullet and make the investment in the hair are hooked! I get told quite regularly that ever since they put their hair in my hands, they've noticed a HUGE difference.

If there is anything I have not covered here, please feel free to leave a comment or e-mail me privately at JoannaTheStylist@gmail.com and I will happily answer your questions! Hair health is number one to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment